Spring 2016 Letterpress Core
UVa Education Benefit Eligible*
Four Saturdays, April 2, 9, 23 & May 14, 2016 (12 Noon-5 PM)
Note: This course will also be offered, as a summer one week intensive, August 22 thru 25 (10 AM-3 PM)
This is VABC’s multi-week signature typesetting and press usage class. The goal is to achieve a demonstrable level of skill and confidence on a Vandercook press; it would be a first step toward being “licensed” on the press, which comes after sufficient experience and exposure to all aspects of printing.
During the course the student will learn the skills necessary to:
- Independently compose, typeset, and print a typeset text project on a Vandercook printing press
- utilize basic letterpress terminology
- Navigate a job case’s arrangement and distribute type
- understand the strategies and concepts behind two-color printing
- use wood type, polymer, and block print on a Vandercook press
- troubleshoot common printing problems
- clean the parts of a Vandercook press
- clean and store accessories including furniture, tools, and type
Those wishing to pursue Vandercook Licensure can pursue an independent project that would be arranged after course work is completed.
Schedule: Four Saturdays, April 2, 9, 23 & May 14 (12 noon-5pm)
Instructors: Garrett Queen, Kevin McFadden
Location: Virginia Arts of the Book Center, 2125 Ivy Road, Charlottesville, Virginia
Course Fee: $360 VABC members/$425 nonmembers (all fees include materials)
*UVa Education Benefit Eligible, non-degree certification class #040216, for spring, #082216 for summer (must use nonmember prices).
Send your payment (by check made out to VFH) to:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, 145 Ednam Drive / Charlottesville, VA 22903-4629
(Please note “VABC Spring Letterpress Core” or “VABC Summer Letterpress Core”on the remarks line, include your email information if this is your first class at VABC)
For additional course information contact: Garrett Queen, firstname.lastname@example.org