Summer 2017 Letterpress Core: Printers Proverbs
Participants of all skill levels welcome*
One week intensive, August 7 thru 11 (10 AM – 3 PM)
UVa Education Benefit Eligible**
This interesting twist on VABC’s multi-session, signature typesetting, and press usage class involves the printing of proverbs related to the art of letterpress, creating the pages of a short book over the course of a week. All participants will receive a copy of the pamphlet on completion. We’ll have multiple small assignments that demonstrate metal type, polymer, and multi-color printing. The goal is to achieve a demonstrable level of skill and confidence on a Vandercook press; it would be a first step toward being “licensed” on the press, which comes with sufficient experience and exposure to all aspects of printing.
During the course, the student will learn the skills necessary to:
- Independently compose, typeset, and print a typeset text project on a Vandercook printing press
- utilize basic letterpress terminology
- Navigate a job case’s arrangement and distribute type
- understand the strategies and concepts behind two-color printing
- use wood type, polymer, and block print on a Vandercook press
- troubleshoot common printing problems
- clean the parts of a Vandercook press
- clean and store accessories including furniture, tools, and type
* Participants of all skill levels welcome.
Experienced printers should contact Garrett regarding specific areas of interest and course fees.
Those wishing to pursue Vandercook Licensure can pursue an independent project that would be arranged after course work is completed.
Schedule: One-week intensive, August 7 – 11 (10 AM – 3 PM)
Instructors: Garrett Queen, Kevin McFadden (and guests)
Location: Virginia Arts of the Book Center, 2125 Ivy Road, Charlottesville, Virginia
Course Fee: $360 VABC members/$425 nonmembers (all fees include materials)
**UVa Education Benefit Eligible, non-degree certification class #080717 (must use nonmember price).
Class size limit: 5
Send your payment (by check made out to VFH) to:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, 145 Ednam Drive / Charlottesville, VA 22903-4629
(Please note “VABC Summer Letterpress Core” on the remarks line, include your email information if this is your first class at VABC)
For additional course information contact: Garrett Queen, firstname.lastname@example.org